What should I expect with an ultrasound?
A positive pregnancy test is only an indicator that you may be pregnant. An ultrasound will provide the needed information to confirm the pregnancy. Plan an hour for the ultrasound appointment.
An ultrasound uses sound waves and is very safe!
- First the nurse/sonographer will meet with you to go over consent forms and the procedure and to answer any questions you might have. This is your private time to ask anything you want! Any guests will be invited back to view the ultrasound later in the appointment.
- A gel will be placed on your lower abdomen. A wand will then be placed on top of your abdomen to allow us to see your baby. If unable to view baby through the abdomen, a vaginal approach may be necessary.
- The ultrasound will show the location of the baby, how far along you are, and allow you to see/hear the babyâ€™s heartbeat.
- If you wish, you will receive 2 ultrasound pictures to take with you.
- Average appointment time is 1 hour.
Armed with this information, you are now ready to take the next step to consider your options.